Friday, March 18, 2011

The Untitled Interview #96 – SXSW Edition: Starring Scott Nurkin (Birds of Avalon)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

I loves me some Birds of Avalon, my dear little bluebirds of happiness. These Raleigh folks sure know how to put a smile on my face, thanks to their heavy, hulking psych-laced rock swirl. They make churning, gorgeously loud flashback tunes, and I can confirm they pretty much own it live and in person. When I saw them down in Durham last year they just about knocked me over. Below, the drummerific Scott Nurkin talks hi-hat clutches and hog legs. Oh, and SXSW, of course of course.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Scott Nurkin: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with dual exhaust, extend-o top, and handicap access, son.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
SN: If we're talking just me? My wallet, phone, keys, sleeping bag and definitely a hi-hat clutch.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
SN: All of them. Oh wait. No, 4 maybe 5. So far, that i know of:
- Wed. 16th 9PM Anso Party, Spider House
- Fri. 18th 12AM Leafy Green/Thrill Jockey Showcase, Emos
- Sat. 20th 3:15 Hometapes Friend Island Party, Kung Fu Saloon
- Sat. 20th 9PM ESCAPES X, Corner of 6th and (Fats) Waller

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
SN: Grand Champeen! I dunno, I always stumble into the least crowded shows and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
SN: Find a parking space, drink a Topa Chico, eat one of those hog leg thingys, drink a 40, pour a little out.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
SN: US Festival in '82. Van Halen killed it. Reggae Sunsplash '84. Ziggy Marley killed it. Also I went to the first Lollapalooza. I got a ticket for underage drinking.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?

SN: Trying to beat my set-up/break-down time record. That, and the super chill, positive irie vibrations.

mp3: Invasion (Birds of Avalon from Birds of Avalon)

No comments: