Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Untitled Interview #73 – SXSW Edition: Starring Paul Cary

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Let me tell y'all a little something. In my mind, there's something oh so sexy about a guy with a voice like the one that belongs to Paul Cary. It's gritty, it's smokey, it's the kind of voice that made daddies want to lock up their teenage daughters when rock & roll first took hold of this great land. His voice is up to no good, but in the best way possible. I suspect he and his compadres sound pretty good live, so make sure to pencil them, nay, ink them, into your SXSW plans.

Les Enfants Terribles: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
Paul Cary: I won’t forget anything. It's a curse.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
PC: I know we are playing at the Mohawk on Sat at 8:30 for the Panache showcase, and we have one show Thursday and one on Friday that are still being sorted out.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
PC: Strange Boys and Thee Oh Sees.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
PC: Brush my teeth.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
PC: I was in a band called Los Diablos del Sol for a minute or two back in '97 when I was 19. We had a song on the soundtrack for John Michael McCarthy's The Sore Losers. There was a two day festival in Memphis to promote the movie. During Guitarwolf's set they pulled my friend Nick (singer of Los Diablos) onstage with them. Nick had just cut his hand pretty bad on a broken bottle, but Seiji let him strum his guitar with the bloody hand anyway while he made out the chords on the neck. The bassist and drummer went into a quiet breakdown. Seiji put the bloody guitar on his back and climbed up the speakers on the right of the stage 15 feet in the air. He screamed something in Japanese and jumped. He landed directly on the 1, and the band exploded. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

mp3: Curse of China Bull (Paul Cary from Ghost of a Man)

1 comment:

sivilcrisis said...

never heard that story before, but i wish i still had that tape of Los Diablos del Sol there guy.

Or at least a Taz Concepts tape...