Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Untitled Interview #69 – SXSW Edition: Starring Mike Sempert (Birds & Batteries)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

I tell you what, my little chickadees. Birds & Batteries is one heck of a band. Listening to the San Fran four you'll hear the brash bombast of Led Zeppelin, the down home perfection of The Band, the Canyon psych of The Byrds, the glammy gorgeousness of Bowie, and the thrilling pop experimentation of the Rubber Soul era Beatles. And that's just off the top of my head. Led by Mike Sempert, Birds & Batteries is sure to put a smile on your face. As it happens, Mr. Sempert was kind enough to offer his take on SXSW 2011 for your perusal. Read on, read on.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Mike Sempert: Autobahn.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
MS: Short pants.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
MS: Still to be determined - 5 or 6?

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
MS: Your band! Are you in a band! Can't wait.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
MS: We'll probably go to Ruby's and eat marbled brisket sandwiches with Shiner Bock. I'm already excited...

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
MS: I went to Boston's Hempfest in 8th grade and felt real cool about it. I passed on grass though. "I don't need that stuff to have a good time" is what I said to someone who didn't care...

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
MS: Naps. No, uh. It’s just fun and exciting to see friends and hang out, watch people make music with sounds. Getting down with it.

mp3: Strange Kind of Mirror (Birds & Batteries from Panorama
)


[photo by Su-Yin Mah]

No comments: