Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Untitled Interview #72 – SXSW Edition: Starring Soft Swells

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Lately I've found myself listening rather frequently to the fantastic Soft Swells track "Every Little Thing," a dreamy, bittersweetly poppy gem in the vein of my beloved Broken West. Soft Swells, currently residing in Los Angeles, is the brainchild of Tim Williams, LA transplant and all-around talented dude. Plan to check out the Swells at the Modern Outsider show down there in good old Austin.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Soft Swells: Plane! We thought about driving from LA but decided against it as it's always more fun to see the airline employees toss your guitars like a water balloons out the cabin window.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
SS: Guitar cables. No matter how many guitar cables I have bought in the past I always forget to bring them on the road. Luckily, Matt Welsh, our guitar player always brings extra just for that reason.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
SS: At the moment we are just playing the Modern Outsider showcase. I have done the 5 showcases in 2 days thing in the past and decided that it isn't really worth it. I know what we sound like, I want to see new bands!

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
SS: The Bees. So good, I love all of their records.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
SS: I would be lying if I said I wasn't going to search for a Shiner Bock and some BBQ.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
SS: The Sno-Core tour at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Ohio in 1997. I loved Face to Face as a kid so it was rad to see them in the flesh.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
SS: I love the energy of it all. I love the fact that everyone is so stoked on what they are doing.

mp3:
I Hit Another Wall (Soft Swells from Careful Love)

No comments: