Friday, March 18, 2011

The Untitled Interview #104 – SXSW Edition: Starring Grass Widow

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Bewitching. That’s Grass Widow in one word, my little spellbinders. These three Bay Area ladies make some serious post-rock rock ruckus, but they also make some seriously fetching, lovely harmonies. Together, the two elements prove strikingly hypnotic. I suggest you get thee to their shows.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Hannah Lew:We're flying in to Dallas, playing a festival in Denton, driving to SXSW, then touring east with Wild Flag , then flying home from DC.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
HL:My toothbrush. So cliche.
Lillian Maring: I recently had a dream that I forgot to bring my laptop on a trip, and I was really stressed out. I'm about to jinx myself by saying that I'm usually pretty good about remembering to bring everything I need.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
HL:Probably 6 or so. Some stuff is still in the works.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
HL: Mostly pals from other places like Wet Dog, but it's always fun to see Bay Area buddies like Shannon and The Clams. Not really sure who else is going this year, really we're just planning on seeing everyone we know.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?

HL: Getting a taco at Mr. Natural
LM: Playing fetch with our friend's dog, Mr. Baby.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
HL: In terms of official festivals with corporate sponsors etc...I guess Ladyfest SF (2003?) was the most legit festival I attended before SXSW last year.
LM: I actually never attended any festivals. Unless the Ren Fair counts. I take that back, I played the "What U Got?" Fest in Olympia, WA a few years ago, it was a small festival showcasing the talents of local under-age artists.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?

HL: Grass Widow has played less than a handful of festivals and I can't say too much in general about festivals as I haven't been to many, but SXSW is a great place to see friends from all over the place.
LM: So many different types of music and their corresponding audiences are all jammed packed into the same vicinity, crossing paths and bumping into each other.

mp3: Shadow (Grass Widow from Past Time)


[photo by Dillon Donovan]

No comments: