Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Untitled Interview #109 – SXSW Edition: Starring Paul Duncan (Warm Ghost)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Crazy Warm Ghost/LET tidbit of knowledge: Way back when yours truly was a book/record store maven, one of the perks was getting truckloads of free music. One such record was by a guy called Paul Duncan, and it was so weird and wonderful that I totally fell in smit with it. Years later, Paul Duncan has once again come into my life, this time in the guise of Warm Ghost, his former solo and now joint venture (with Oliver Chapoy). The sound is still weird and wonderful, but a lot heavier on the electronics. Below, Paul talks about SXSW and his plans for Warm Ghost’s first (but probably not last) festival.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Paul Duncan: Taking a plane to east Texas where my folks live, then driving a pickup to Austin. That's how we roll.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:

PD: A million dollars for tacos and BBQ.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?

PD: We are playing 4 and a possible 5th.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?

PD: Laurel Halo…also J Mascis is playing later in the night after us on Wednesday I think. Pretty stoked for that too.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?

PD: Stretch from the 5 hour drive and say hey to friends I haven't seen in years.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?

PD: Lollapalooza…I was like 15-16. Saw Pavement, Beck, Sonic Youth and…Cypress Hill. I fell asleep on the grass next to a girl with blue hair and an L7 shirt.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?

PD: This will be our first one to play, but I like the idea of getting to walk around in the sun with a beer and see other peeps play music.

mp3: Open the Wormhole in Your Heart (Warm Ghost from the Claws Overhead EP)

No comments: