Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Untitled Interview #56 – SXSW Edition: Starring The Bears Of Blue River

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Kicking off this here SXSW season is Chicago's The Bears of Blue River. These denizens of the Windy City make a charming, light-hearted modern twangily twee folk, deliciously adorable and ultimately impossible not to love. SXSW-goers, you've been warned. Go see these Bears. My heartiest of hearty thanks to Mister Gavin Wilkinson and Miss Maggie Gard for their answers, which you can read below.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Gavin Wilkinson: We will be traveling upon our often unreliable bus known to us as "Latifah."
Maggie Gard: Our big black bus lovingly known as Latifah.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
GW: Well, if I knew now then I probably wouldn't forget it! Geez!
MG: We are always leaving something somewhere. Notorious.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
GW: It's totally up in the air right now but we are still seeking more at the moment. We will be on one official showcase for sure but hopefully more. So, if anyone reading this can help... let us know. ;)
MG: That is a good question.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
GW: All of them. I become a little schoolgirl while I'm at SXSW. I keep a little list with me of everything I want to catch and I try to see as much as possible. It's pretty much the greatest few days of the year.
MG: Tons. Depends on what schedules look like as to what we will get to see.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
GW: My former roommate and dear friend recently moved there so I am anxious for our reunion. I expect will indulge in some poisons and good times. Other than that I will probably just dance with excitement.
MG: Cchhheck in? Share drinks with old friends.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
GW: Haha, wow... this is embarassing but.. it was Warped Tour when I was 13 or 14. I was a total loser as a kid. I remember I had to ride in the back of my brother's truck on a flip down seat for an hour to get there. I was so excited to be around so many happenings. I have never been to Warped Tour since. I wish my answer involved a Polka festival.
MG: I don't remember. That's bad.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
GW: There is so much free stuff available!!! Drinks! Food! Shows! Swag! I love meeting new folks while in attendance as well. It seems like a very easy environment to strike up conversation with just about anyone.
MG: There's not much not to like. Free everything. Music. Generally lots of sun. And lots of cute dudes. Ha.


mp3: Crayola (The Bears of Blue River - hear more here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's their new single! http://soundcloud.com/thebearsofblueriver/boy-toy