Friday, March 4, 2011

The Untitled Interview #58 – SXSW Edition: Starring Rusty Matyas (Imaginary Cities)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Evidently, friends, SXSW 2011 is going to be owned by our Neighbors to the North. Imaginary Cities is yet another awesome Canadian band headed down to make Austin swoon, and I'd venture they've got a good chance to make that happen. Rusty Matyas and Marti Sarbit have the chops to make the world stand up and take notice, that's for sure. Don't believe me? Just as a little band called the Pixies. They've decided to take Imaginary Cities on tour with them later this year. And if that doesn't say that a band is awesome, I don't know what does. See for yourself if you happen to be Austin-bound in a couple weeks. Rusty marinated on my questions and had the following to say:

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Rusty Matyas: Plane I think. I hope! They are fast.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
RM: Something necessary for playing music. Power adapter for my pedals, cables, my guitar, that sort of thing. Everytime.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
RM: They seem to be piling up...I think we're playing no less than four shows so far. Hopefully more!

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
RM: To be honest I don't know the roster all that well, but I do know my boys from the Sheepdogs (amazing band from Saskatoon) will be "in town!” I hope they get a break. They are good kids. I will be at their show. And I'll somehow probably get onstage. Then regret it later. As usual.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
RM: Smelling food. Then eating it. I ate at an outdoor show for the Donnas at SXSW 4 or 5 years ago.. Can't remember what the place was called, but it was a really cool outdoor stage sort of in-behind a couple of bars. The dirt was light brown, and the beauty mesquite odour still haunts me today. Wonderful.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
RM: First as part of general public: a touring Canadian festival called Edgefest.. It doesn't tour anymore, but still happens every year in Toronto. I've gotten to play it a number of times now. Pretty neat. I think the first time I went the big headliner was Green Day, just after Dookie came out. Also playing were some of my favourite Canadian bands at the time like Age of Electric, and...well mostly guilty pleasures I liked when I was a teenager but don't want to admit now.

As a musician: my first show with The Weakerthans was supposed to be at Lollapalooza, which would have ruled, but their bus broke down. The next show was the Osheaga festival in Montreal, which was equally totally amazing. The Black Keys and The Go! Team were on that bill, two of my fave bands right now.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
RM: The variety of bands that play.. There's always something for everyone! Usually there's at least ONE band I'm excited to see! Like Imaginary Cities.

mp3: Hummingbird (Imaginary Cities from the Hummingbird EP)

No comments: