Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Untitled Interview #83 – SXSW Edition: Starring Jon Bonilla (Hollis Brown)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Meet Hollis Brown, y'all. They're four born and bred New York dudes with a whole lotta rockin' and a-rollin' on their minds. These boys make 100 proof, sweaty, earnest Americana rock, showing the influence of many a day and night spent listening to their predecessors before them (The Boss, says me, and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and The Rolling Stones among those said by them). If you're down in Austin, you might just find it a dang good time listening to Hollis Brown. Below, axeman Jon Bonilla talks all things Austin.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Jon Bonilla: We'll be arriving by plane.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:

JB: Enough underwear.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?

JB: We have four showcases. We'll be playing with other bands that we're into, such as Gringo Star and Das Racist. It should be a very fun experience.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?

JB: Surfer Blood, I saw them during the CMJ festival in New York. They made me a believer then, I'm sure they won’t disappoint in Austin.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?

JB: Get some rest, then find the best steakhouse. I hear Texas has amazing steak.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?

JB: The first festival I attended was The Warped Tour in 2001. I was young, still in high school. I remember seeing The Rollins Band and The Misfits. I don't remember enjoying my time there, I wasn't really into any of the bands I saw. I went to hang out with friends and before it was over I got kicked in the chest by some kids who were trying to start a moshpit. The whole thing was a terrible experience.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
JB: The ability to fit a large number of bands all with different sounds and styles in one capacity.

mp3: When The Weather's Warm (Hollis Brown from When The Weather's Warm EP)

No comments: