Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Untitled Interview #82 – SXSW Edition: Starring In-Flight Safety

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

SXSW 2011: full of Austinites and Canadians. Another of the Canadian contingent, In-Flight Safety, proudly waves the flag for big, bold anthemic songs. No shrinking violets, these four make booming, rich songs that tend to be either pretty or rocking, or, heck, both at the same time. Soaring vocals and slick production play off the chunky guitars and drums, making for rather a pleasing listening experience. Make sure to catch these boys on their first SXSW appearance. Though, it probably won't be their last.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
In-Flight Safety: We are driving all the way from Halifax NS. Hardcore - eh?

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:

I-FS: I will forget to pack enough socks and underwear because mine has all gone missing. Also there is never enough Advil.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?

I-FS: We are playing 3 shows. Apparently that's far too little. We're greenhorns, though.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
I-FS: It's toss up between Pains of Being Pure At Heart and Duran Duran (!).

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
I-FS: Totally geeking out and planning out my hit list for bands I want to see. We can't see ANY of these bands in Halifax so it's time to get my fill.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
I-FS: Interestingly the first festival we ever attended was probably NxNE in Toronto way back in the day in 2003. We played a show in a tiny cafe bar with a band that brought their own smoke machine and lighting rig. We generally didn't have a clue what we were doing.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
I-FS: Definitely all the quality items you receive in those delegate bags. Great quality stuff that has no chance of being lost, say, on the first day of the fest.

mp3: Model Homes (In-Flight Safety from We Are An Empire My Dear)


[photo by Scott Munn]

No comments: