Friday, March 18, 2011

The Untitled Interview #100 – SXSW Edition: Starring Reading Rainbow

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

Hey look! It’s the 100th LET Untitled Interview. That certainly requires a special band, no? And darned if Reading Rainbow isn’t a special band. When I think of them I think less of Philly, their homeland, than I do a crazy, wackadoo planet in which Levar Burton (HELLS YES) frolics with sinewy go-go dancers and tripping bunny rabbits and undulating flora and fauna and the characters of Candyland play Battleship. Musically-speaking, they bring the fuzz, they bring the bop, they bring the whole shebang. Rob and Sarah are crazy awesome, y’all. Simple as.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Sarah: We're driving down in our Subaru Outback station wagon.
Rob: We'll be playing a bunch of shows down the East coast on the way to Austin. Then after the festival we'll be making our way up to Canada and then down the West Coast. So excited!

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:

S: Oh god - probably enough underwear. That happened last year and we went to Target with 1/2 of Dum Dum Girls and our friend Brent and bought some more.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?

S: As of now I think 5 or 6? I have no idea! Out of the loop.
R: It’s always a fine line between playing as many shows as possible and being totally burnt out.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?

S: Last year I was realllllly looking forward to seeing Grass Widow for the first time. This year I am not so dead set on any one band. I mean, I'm stoked to see any bands I like a lot even if it's for the 1,000 time!
R: I agree, most excited just to see all of our friends in other bands that we don't get to see often.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?

S: Get to the hotel and chilllll. Maybe go in the pool or use the free wifi like a straight baller. Then go to the giant super Whole Foods and stock up on vitamins and get some Kombucha on tap! (maybe even fill a Kombucha growler)

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?

S: The first festival I ever attended was also my first concert. I was 12, and it was an all day "birthday bash" for the alternative radio station 104.7 The Buzz in Richmond, VA where I'm from. It had a bunch of C-list alternative bands. The highlights were: seeing Our Lady Peace play (they were obvz headlining), meeting OLP at a meet-and-greet table where they signed my chucks, and also crowd surfing for the first time!
R: Hahaha. Yea my first festival was also for an alternative radio station. WHFS 99.1 for the DC/Baltimore area. Looking back on it, all I can remember are lots and lots of JNCOs.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?

S: The comraderie with other bands we're friends with, and festivals are usually held in warm summery months/climates.

mp3: Wasting Time (Reading Rainbow from Prism Eyes)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great interview. gosh it's a no brainer, although it must be said Reading Rainbow are the hottest thing out there right now. i'm so down with them.
-Adam