Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Untitled Interview #64 – SXSW Edition: Starring Ben Fox (Dinosaur Bones)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

I've had the pleasure of visiting Toronto a couple times over the past few years. I even toyed with the idea of moving there a while back, but it's just too cold there in Winter for my delicate constitution. If you haven't been, it's a great place. Oh yeah, and it's got a killer music scene, too. Dinosaur Bones is a part of that scene, and they'll doubtlessly be slaying all and sundry down there in Austin. To me, their music is the sonic equivalent of venturing up to the very top of the CN Tower in downtown Toronto, and spending some breathless, beautiful moments in the observation area with the glass bottomed floor. They're highly recommended, y'all, so make sure not to miss Dinosaur Bones. Below, Bones singer Ben Fox gets his SXSW musings on.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Ben Fox: Vanomobile. We're all about the road trip. As Toronto guys, we love the 2-3 day road trip through the States, right down to Texas. It’s a really cool way to see the U.S., especially the parts of it you wouldn't necessarily pass through on a tour.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
BF: Cell phone charger, adequate underwear, you name it. Although I always remember to pack my toothbrush, the most easily replaced item of all...

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
BF: Last year I think we played 5, so that's the bar. If we top that I'll be happy. I think we're locked into 4 or so thus far, so I think we're in good shape.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
BF: I try to plan as little as possible for festivals like this, and kinda just roll with it and see where I end up. With so many deadly bands playing, it usually works out pretty well.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
BF: Finding the nearest BBQ and eating 'til I black out.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
BF: When I was in high school I went to the first Olympic Island festival on the Toronto Island. Got a chance to see a bunch of great Canadian bands before they blew up internationally (Death From Above 1979 and Arcade Fire were the first two bands of the day). That still holds up as one of my favourite festival experiences, from an audience perspective.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
BF: I'd say one of my favourite things is running into friends from home who are also playing the festival, and being able to soak in how amazing it is that we get to do what we're doing. Oh, and I guess getting day-drunk four days in a row and watching a bunch of my favourite bands in one weekend is pretty good too.

mp3: Royalty (Dinosaur Bones from My Divider)

[photo by Brittany Lucas]


No comments: