Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Untitled Interview #62 – SXSW Edition: Starring Justin Webb (We Were The States)

The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter and sweeter, and that, my little vixens, can only mean one thing: it's getting close to being almost time for the one and only SXSW. And of course, that means I had to ask some questions of the bands I'd sure want to see if I was heading down to Austin for the 25th annual SXSW-stravaganza.

My friends, I'm really starting to like me some We Were The States. They're rather raucous, and they bring a bombastic sonic swagger to the 2011 installment of SXSW. Singer Justin Webb anchors the band with his fiery wail, at times reminiscent of the spandex-clad mouthpieces of the early 80s (a good thing for sure). We Were The States is unapologetic in their rocking, and I for one wouldn't have it any other way. Read on to see what Webb had to say about the upcoming SXSW-ness for these boisterous Murfreesboro boys.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Justin Webb: Automobile.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
JW: Socks and smokes...and probably the charger for my phone.

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
JW: So far two...but probably a few more before it's over.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
JW: I can't speak for all the guys...but I'll be looking forward to Deer Tick and Surfer Blood again...

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
JW: Grab a few drinks and find the hotel.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
JW: Ozzfest...the year they had the Black Sabbath reunion...I think it was 1997?

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
JW: SXSW is my favorite...hanging out with all your friends and other bands down there...wandering from show to show with great live music in every direction...can't beat that.

mp3: Gold (We Were The States from Rasa)

[photo by JT Sumner]


No comments: