Saturday, December 11, 2010

Singles Club: Lower Dens

So remember how I said I sometimes forget about Baltimore venues? Well, I'm occasionally guilty of overlooking Baltimore bands, too. Sorry, Charm City. I've got me a serious case of Chocolate City blinders. Which is really too bad, because there's a whole lotta glorious, mighty fine noise being made an hour up the road.

Today's example: Lower Dens. I'm currently head over heels with their song "Blue & Silver", off this summer's Twin-Hand Movement record. There's more than a subtle nod to the era when interestingly-coiffed skinny Brits ruled the airwaves and MTV, with a spare, stark quality to the recording and a hearty dose of shimmy, joined by breathy, daydreaming vocals. Basically, it's a gorgeous song and I can't stop listening to it.

It's got me in the mood to see this Baltimoreans in the flesh, and thankfully, the band is gearing up for a New Year's hangover tour (starting 1/3 at the Kennedy Center. Swanky!). Dates below the song. I'm sure I'll see some of you at one or both of those DC dates.

mp3: Blue & Silver (Lower Dens from Twin-Hand Movement)

01/03 - Washington DC - The Kennedy Center
01/12 - Carrboro NC - Cat's Cradle $
01/13 - Atlanta GA - Variety Playhouse $
01/14 - Asheville NC - Grey Eagle Tavern $
01/15 - Nashville TN - Exit In $
03/11 - Washington DC - Black Cat !
03/12 - Chapel Hill NC - Local 506 !
03/13 - Atlanta GA - The EARL !
03/15 - Norman OK - The Opolis !

$ = w/ The Walkmen
! = w/ Wye Oak

No comments: