Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Untitled Interview #40 – SXSW Edition: Starring Cassette Kids

I’m finding it hard to believe that it’s time once again for the annual industry hootenanny known as SXSW. As of today, Austin will be taken over. Inundated. Overrun. Engulfed. You get the idea. To celebrate the mad mad mad mad week of absolute havoc, Austin-style, we’ve thrown down the interview gauntlet to see what some of our favorite bands are going to be getting up to whilst gettin down in the wilds of Texas.

Everybody loves a good, danceable pop song every now and again. Well, I know I sure do. Our next guests are up-and-coming purveyors of quality dancepop songs, Cassette Kids from The Land Down Under. It’s frothy, glittery chick-fronted goodness that’ll certainly quench your sugary pop cravings. I’d love to see them share a stage with countrymen Cut Copy one of these days, as I think that would be quite a treat. They also get major points for getting my subtle wit (see question 1), using one of my favorite terms (see “glutton for punishment,” question 2), and for sharing one of my addictions (see question 5). You’ve got at least six chances to see them live down at SXSW, so perhaps you should think about penciling them in.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Cassette Kids: Plane, but hopefully watching “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” on it. Love that movie.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
CK: Toothpaste, I always pack the brush, but will always forget the paste. I usually borrow Kat's, but she uses Sensodine & it tastes horrible. You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson the first 20 times. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment?

LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
CK: I think at this point in time we're playing 6. I know we're doing shows in LA & Houston before heading to Austin.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
CK: I've got a few: The Temper Trap, The XX, Rival Schools & Children Collide.

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
CK: Hitting up an Urban Outfitters, I'm addicted to shopping & they stock some good stuff.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
CK: When I was 12, my sister took me to what was supposed to be the last Big Day Out in 1997. Soundgarden were headlining I think. I remember running from another stage into the main arena to 'Black Hole Sun'. It was incredible. Then, like 3 months later, they split up.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
CK: Deciding which of your favourite bands there you'll deny seeing as the timetable clashes. Then when you get there, you lose a friend, go off to find them, never see them again, but somehow manage to keep walking past the same stranger throughout the day. Weird.

mp3: Lying Around (Cassette Kids from Lying Around)

No comments: