Sunday, June 22, 2008

Singles Club: Brendan Canning

Sometimes it's got to be a pain in the ass to be a musician these days, what with the World Wide Interwebs seemingly there at every turn making life harder for you. You bust your hump to make a new album and damned if somebody doesn't leak the thing to the world via those stalwarts like Limewire, etc. Such is the case for Brendan Canning, at least. The latest from the so far wonderful Broken Social Scene Presents... series, Canning found his Something For All Of Us out there on the web well ahead of its originally slated July 22 release date.

In his own words on the Arts & Crafts website:

"It has come to my attention that an unmastered version of my album has been leaked through the internet. With the retail release being six weeks away, I've decided to correct the situation by releasing the album digitally myself, because I can. So this is for all you early birds who just couldn't wait for July 22nd. But you know, it won't be like going to your favorite record shop and getting a copy in your hot little hands, or sitting in your basement downloading it to your iTouch phone while playing 'Grand Theft Auto'. It merely corrects the situation that is...a messed up version of my record floating around on the internet, and this is not how I wanted my record to drop. Believe me, this is not a minor situation. We're talking recall here folks... With all of this in mind, please note: Something for All of Us... will be available at all fine retail and digital outlets in North America July 22nd with some additional artwork inside and slightly later for the rest of the world.

Thank you all, please enjoy.

BC"

Now, on the one hand, he's got to be pissed that all that hard work has been pre-empted, moreso because it's apparently in lesser form. On the other side of the fence, though, I have to think he's at least partially flattered that his new CD is in such high demand that nefarious evil doers are out there to fix the jones of so many BSS fans worldwide.

Regardless, the new track, "Hit the Wall", is pretty damn money, with all sorts of indie goodness. While I don't doubt that BC has every reason to be pissed, this track is going to make me go out and buy the CD on July 22.

No comments: