Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Untitled Interview #54: Starring Brad Oberhofer (Oberhofer)

A wise woman said to me lately that 2011 is going to be the Year of Oberhofer (take that, bunny rabbits). I've gotta be honest, I’m not so sure I’d disagree with her. Something about that excited, intoxicating mish mash of jumbled lo-fi poppery and jagged guitar bits and bobs and of course, that dynamite voice, makes me think I might kinda love the monster that Brad Oberhofer has created under the moniker Oberhofer. I’m particularly in serious thrall with the sassy bittersweetness of “Awy Frm U” and the whistle-while-you-shake-it chilliness of “I Could Go.”

Currently touring with Tapes 'n Tapes, Mr. Oberhofer took a minute to fill in the blanks. See his opinions on anything from The Shangri-Las to Montreal to cold feet. And hey, DC kids, I do hope I’ll see you tomorrow night, when Oberhofer brings the liveness to our very own Rock & Roll Hotel.

Les Enfants Terribles: How the hell are you?
Brad Oberhofer: I'm great! Hungry, cold, and on the way to Montreal. I love Montreal.

LET: What was the last song you listened to?
BO: "The Leader of the Pack" by The Shangri-las.

LET: Beatles or Stones?
BO: Haven't listened to enough of either to know for certain, but I'm leaning toward the Beatles.

LET: Top 5 albums (of now, of this month, or of ever):
BO: Right now:

Okay- High Road
Arcade Fire- Funeral
The Nightgowns- Sing Something
Hella- Hold Your Horse Is
The Strokes- Is This It

LET: Favorite music-related movie?
BO: Amadeus.

LET: Half-full or half-empty?
BO: Half-full.

LET: Which of your peers do you think is making the best music these days?
BO: My friend Paul in Vacation.

LET: What’s the first thing you think when you wake up in the morning?
BO: This morning it was, "Why didn't anybody wake me up?"

LET: Little-known Oberhofer fact?
BO: My feet are cold.

LET: The greatest record store in the world is:
BO: Jerry's in Pittsburgh.

LET: Shaken or stirred?
BO: Stirred. I think.

LET: Best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
BO: "Nothing will ever be more perfect than it is right now."

LET: If you weren’t a musician you’d be:
BO: In a beautiful, tree-coated, warm place.

LET: If you were so inclined, whom would you form a tribute band in honor of?
BO: I'd never do that.

LET: Best song ever written?
BO: No such thing!


mp3: Should Have Taken Acid with You (Neon Indian Cover) (Oberhofer - buy stuff!)

1 comment:

HAIR ROCKET said...

yeah these guys are loose and fun and play all over NY