Saturday, February 12, 2011

Megan's Top 70 of 2010: #33 - The Walkmen

Why I Decree it to Be So:

I can't believe it's been something like eight years since first The Walkmen jauntily jangled their way into my cold, black heart (remember "We've Been Had?"). In truth, they could put out a crappy record and I'd still love 'em, and not only for their DC connections. With latest record Lisbon, the band shows just how far they've come, getting better with age though still impish and playful at heart. They continue to hone their unmistakable sound, that bouncy surf rock meets calypso meets pop, given voice through the warm warble of irrepressible (and dashingly handsome) Hamilton Leithauser. "Angela Surf City," one of my favorites, is classic Walkmen, while "Blue As Your Blood" bleeds a little bit Ennio Morricone along with the traditional Walkmen fare. And you can't help but believe Leithauser when he opines, "I could dream you forever." If you're a fan of the band, you obviously need this record. And if you're not yet a fan, Lisbon will convert you to the wonderful world of The Walkmen.

mp3: Angela Surf City (The Walkmen from Lisbon)

No comments: