Friday, February 25, 2011

Megan's Top 70 of 2010: #8 - Darker My Love

Why I Decree it to Be So:

When I last saw Darker My Love in the flesh up in Baltimore a few months back, their set was heavy with tunes from their fine, fine new record Alive As You Are. The songs struck me then as quite a departure from the swirling, dreamy nouveau psych concoctions I'd initially loved, and the record too steers this new, electric countryland course. But here's the thing about Darker My Love that y'all need to know. Be it the "Rubber Soul" meets Laurel Canyon meets Syd Barrett meets twang with pistols at dawn vibe of Alive As You Are or the heady retro rush of their older records, the end result is ultimately the same: A collection of absolutely killer songs played by a group of incredibly gifted musicians. Alive As You Are gets better with each and every listen, and it was pretty fucking fantastic to begin with.

mp3: Dear Author (Darker My Love from Alive As You Are)

No comments: