Thursday, February 17, 2011

Megan's Top 70 of 2010: #22b - Arcade Fire

Why I Decree it to Be So:

I was a little slow to initially jump on the ole Arcade Fire way back a few years ago, when they released the absolutely beauteous and amazing Funeral. I still don't quite know why I was so resistant. I've learned my lesson, thankfully. New record The Suburbs is, well, beauteous and amazing. There's a new wrinkle in Arcade Fire-land, though, and I'll go ahead and quote my friend Henry because I think he hit the nail on the head: "When did Arcade Fire decide to stop moping and just rock?" When, indeed. It was a good move on their part, the whole rocking thing, because it turns out they can successfully do more than just mope and get their gloom on. I can't even fathom how much I love "Ready To Start" with that dark, hypnotic rhythm and, yes, much rock. They also retained a little of their Springsteen love from Neon Bible, which I definitely approve of (see: "Modern Man"). I was blown away from start to finish of The Suburbs. Odds are, you pick this thing up (the few of you that don't own it already), and you'll be pretty dang blown away yourself.

mp3: Rococo (Arcade Fire from The Suburbs)

No comments: