Friday, February 25, 2011

Megan's Top 70 of 2010: #6 - Beach Fossils

Why I Decree it to Be So:

Beach Fossils has a lo-fi feel to the production, reminding me a little of those great albums that came out of New Zealand and the UK in the early 80s. In fact, Beach Fossils at times remind me just a touch of The Clean, seminal Kiwi indie popsters. At times there’s a whole lotta Flying Nun coursing through this record. The guitar on opening track “Sometimes” is drenched in retro, slightly reminiscent of a less brutal Beat Happening, and sets the stage for just how impossible it’ll be to resist the onslaught of shimmery, twinkling noise to come. “I don’t know just what I feel but I feel it all tonight,” goes second track “Youth”, a wonderfully sweet little song with a kicky bassline and drum-machine taut drums. “Twelve Roses” is glorious, jangly and washed in gentle fuzz. Consider it a favorite. Same goes for the song right after it, the equally killer “Daydream”. There’s something so optimistic about this music, it puts me in a good mood no matter what. And the guitar gets me every single damn time. I absolutely, positively, unequivocally love this record. It’s almost too good to be true. From start to finish, it’s divine. (SEE MORE)



No comments: