Saturday, February 5, 2011

Megan's Top 70 of 2010: #43 - Wild Nothing

Why I Decree it to Be So:

Those Texans among you will probably bristle quite a bit when I say this, but I'm about to hijack one of your little slogans. From henceforth, it's gonna be Don't Mess with Virginia, y'all. Another one of the rather exciting crop of Old Dominion bands (well, ok, Jack Tatum in this case) to get VA on the map is Wild Nothing. This record, Gemini (and no, I don't just love it because it's named for my sign), harnesses a twee, sugary sweetness of shimmering synth pop and blends it seamlessly with shades of Smiths-ian melancholia and wistfulness. The candy sweet songs come off like that furious first flush of summer, breathless and exciting and miles beyond infectious. Quite a delicious little record indeed.

mp3: Chinatown (Wild Nothing from Gemini)

No comments: