Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Video Vixens: Feliz Navidad Edition

Rather unbelievable, isn't it, to think that another Xmas is just about upon us. When I was growing up, there were few things I looked forward to more than a White Christmas. As a little pigtailed scamp, Christmastime always seemed so magical, what with the festively-decorated tree and the twinkling lights and the stockings. I always made sure to leave a plate of cookies and a glass of milk for one S. Claus, too.

These days, I think that a White Christmas is prettier in pictures than in practice (seeing as how I now drive to the old homestead for the holidays), and I know the rather deflating truth about Santa. But there's still something special about holiday music. So, while I've been at home in bed for the past few days (no, not for fun reasons, but because I've been cursed with some sort of plague), I've rounded up some of my all-time faves, and some new favorites, too.

We begin with the somewhat cheesy but totally fabulous
David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet on "Little Drummer Boy". It's the meeting of two different styles, and it never ceases to be great. Next up, an even older classic, the purrfect Eartha Kitt lending her feline vocals to "Santa Baby". It's the ultimate in materialistic holiday songs (and so appropriate for the greedy times in which we live). Then it's on to something new, with the Raveonettes' haunting "Christmas Song". We sure are suckers for that Danish duo around these parts. And really, nothing says Christmas like Glam Rock, so I'm throwing in a little Slade with "Merry Christmas Everybody". I always felt Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad" was one of the best Xmas songs ever recorded, and so he is included here. Hope you get a kick outta the videos.










No comments: