Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Top Albums of 2008 According to Chris: #13 - Broken Social Scene Presents...Brendan Canning (Honorable Mention)

I recently read a "Best of 08" list where the reviewer quite candidly and honestly said, "... if so and so took a shit on a snare drum, I'd probably still love it."

That's pretty much how I feel about Broken Social Scene.

Not only has the individual solo artist stuff been great, but the Broken Social Scene Presents series also has kicked ass thus far. First came Kevin Drew's, and this year we received co-front man Brendan Canning's.

Does it sound an awful lot like Broken Social Scene? Sure, but how is that any kind of problem at all? I mean, the guy's an integral member of the band and helped create that BSS sound.

I was fortunate enough to see the BSS tour this year, and the band took the time to do a track or two from BC's album. Let me assure you, the crowd was impressed. As you can hear for yourself, "Hit the Wall" is a pretty fine little song. It's got that excellent indie Canuck goodness that we all know and love smacking throughout it. The rest of the album does the same.




No comments: