Monday, December 1, 2008

LP Lust: November 30

This year I made a promise to myself to (finally and much belatedly) start beefing up my adorable (i.e. teensy tiny) vinyl collection. Happily, this has been fairly easy to do, given Richmond's hearty supply of thrift stores with their tantalizingly budget-friendly prices and vast selections, and our excellent record store Plan 9 (and their seriously amazing used albums). While it's still miniscule compared to many of my friends (especially that of my roommate, Chelsea, whose cornucopia of obscure albums never ceases to amaze me), my record collection has grown by leaps and bounds this year. I hope to keep steadily adding to it until the collection is a respectable size, though with my glaring willpower problems that could end up not taking much time at all.

After many weeks without purchasing not even one coveted circle of vinyl, I fell victim to the lulling lure of $1 albums while out shopping today, and decided to share with you the bounty procured thanks to a giant lapse in budgetary restrictions. Here's a list of the baker's dozen I picked up on this rainy Sunday afternoon:



*Slade - Slayed?

*Mick Jagger - She's the Boss

*Glen Campbell - By the Time I Get to Phoenix

*Rossington Collins Band - Anytime Anyplace Anywhere

*U2 - Boy

*The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves

*Rick James - Street Songs

*Joe Cocker - Joe Cocker!

*Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings

*Rod Stewart - The Rod Stewart Album

*Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

*The Psychedelic Furs - Forever Now

*The Beach Boys - The Beach Boy's Christmas Album

Not a bad day's work, if I do say so myself.

Here's a smattering of some of the other gems that I've picked up this year:

*The Sons of the Pioneers - South of the Border

*Highland Pageantry: The Pipes and Drums and Regimental Band of the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

*Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors

*Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - From Russia With Love

*John Cale - Slow Dazzle

Thoughts? Recommendations? Scoffing? I welcome it all (especially recommendations).

No comments: