Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Megan's Top 18 of 2008 - #1b* - Radiohead

The Bends is my favorite. OK Computer is second. But In Rainbows might just have supplanted Pablo Honey as my third favorite Radiohead album of all times.

I'd like to take just a moment to address the issue of why Radiohead is sitting here at #1 (well, #1b with asterisk) on my list in the first place. Yes, I do in fact realize that
In Rainbows was digitally released last year. However, as I addressed when I wrote about this record back in January, the actual, physical manifestation appeared in that very month, thereby rendering it fair game (in my books, anyway) for my 2008 list. So there, purists. We're a little more relaxed about things here. Now back to the album.

It took me approximately ten seconds to fall in love with
In Rainbows. Ten teensy, tiny seconds into opening track "15 Steps" and it was all over. It's as though they're just mocking everyone, by making yet another great, great album. Every single track is pretty much brilliant, adding to just how prolific this band has always been. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi"? "All I Need"? "Reckoner"? Great, greater, greatest. And don't even get me going on how much I love "House of Cards". I mean, even the Grammy folks have recognized how fucking good this song is. It's that undeniable, and it kills me. Every damn time.

I know the popular opinion is to be more into the later works of Radiohead, but until this record I was a member of the Older is Better minority. Well, I still think older is mostly better. But there's something about
In Rainbows that makes it sound truly comprehensive. In this album is the ghost of Radiohead past, and yet another peek into the future.



No comments: