Monday, January 19, 2009

LP Lust: January 19

I've been a very bad girl.

Somewhere between the last time I bought records and this minute right now, I had made a promise to myself that I would not, no way no sir no how, buy any more LPs until after I move into my new apartment. I've got quite enough vinyl to hike up the stairs, thank you very much. And yet somehow, I managed to break that promise. Not just in the form of one or two more records. Oh no. Here's what happened.

It started last weekend when I took a little afternoon excursion to Fredericksburg. Among the items that came back to Richmond with me were these two albums:

*Dory Previn - Live at Carnegie Hall (1973)

*Leon Russell & Marc Benno - Asylum Choir

True, this isn't that much of an issue. After all, two LPs don't weigh very much. But then, that same weekend, I went to a party, and got this as a party favor:

*Annuals - Such Fun

And that, well, it was a gift! And just one more album, certainly, can't hurt.

But then, friends, I went to Plan 9. I went there with the best of intentions, to merely offload some CDs and DVDs I felt comfortable parting with in the interest of space (as the new apartment is quite a bit smaller than my current digs). But as I was waiting, something terrible happened. I got sucked into the black hole known as the used vinyl. And it was then that all hope was lost. I well and truly broke my promise to myself by purchasing the following multitude of LPs. But what's another ten records?

*Scritti Politti - Hypnotize

*Leon Russell & Marc Benno - Asylum Choir II

*Bronski Beat - Truthdare Doubledare

*The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

*Elton John - Honky Chateau

*Interview - Interview

*Dave Mason - Alone Together

*Mountain - Climbing!

*The Style Council - Internationalists

*Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?

I'd say I was hanging my head in shame, but I'm actually pretty happy with these albums. And I've learned something about myself. When it comes to vinyl, I simply cannot control myself.

No comments: