Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gettin' All Presidential On Your Ass

Word on the street is that this Tuesday is kind of a big deal, presidentially-speaking. Most people I know are pretty excited about Inauguration Day, and will be partying heartily on the 20th. I exclude myself from said excitement, merely because being as cynical as I am I tend to think all politicians are wastes of oxygen, but even I am pretty darned happy to see a (much-needed) regime change.

As per usual, I have digressed. My fellow Americans, my point is this: why wait until Tuesday to get your party on? Ok, so you might already have started celebrating, but what if you're in search of something to do tonight? Bands for Lands and the City Paper (DC) got together and arranged a little shindig over at the historic 6th and I Synagogue, celebrating both the Inauguration of Barack Obama (President #44, if you're keeping score) and the release of the Of Great and Mortal Men: 43 Songs for 43 U.S. Presidencies LP, a collection of songs (one per Prez) all about the leaders of our land. Song #44 is to be debuted at this do. Personal faves of mine (and contributors to the album) These United States will be on hand to warm up the festivities, and folks such as Nellie McKay, Jukebox the Ghost, Laura Burhenn (ex-Georgie James), Denison Witmer, Tim Fite, and the aforementioned These United States performing songs from the presidential album. It should be a super duper way to stave off the cold and celebrate the nation's return to blue.

Hail to the Chief, indeed.

mp3: Washington Dreams of the Hippopotamus (f/ Vince DiFiore of Cake)

No comments: