Thursday, February 12, 2009

LP Lust: Move-in Special Edition

Not only have I been extremely, ridiculously, all-encompassingly preoccupied/stressed/vexed with moving, I've also been acquiring vinyl at an almost superhuman rate over the past couple of weeks. I saved the bulk of my purchasing for after I was good and moved in to my lovely little third floor apartment, but after the move I went a little crazy in the record-buying. It can, of course, be rationalized away, in that for the list of records you'll see below I only spent about $20 in total. And I must say there are few things I enjoy more these days than going home from work and putting on some music on my wonderful record player (thanks to Scott for getting it up and running).

I've found that the Easy Rider soundtrack is great for unpacking (or cleaning).

It began a couple days before the actual move, when I picked up just a few new albums:

*The Ink Spots - At Las Vegas

*Petula Clark - Downtown

*Paul McCartney - McCartney

The Monday after my move, I took the gift certificates that had been burning a serious hole in my wallet and headed to Plan 9, where I procured these:

*The Band - The Last Waltz (three-album edition)

*The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock'n'Roll

*The Association - Insight Out

*Alice Cooper - Lace and Whiskey

*The Faces - Long Player

*Arlo Guthrie - Hobo's Lullaby

*Ian Hunter - Ian Hunter

*The Kinks - Low Budget

*Dave Mason - It's Like You Never Left

*Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

*Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy

*Easy Rider Soundtrack

*The Butterfield Blues Band - The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw

*The Flying Burrito Brothers - Last of the Red Hot Burritos

I then found the following while doing a little late morning thrifting:

*On the Move: Dionne Warwick/Glen Campbell/Burt Bacharach

*Stray Cats - Built for Speed

*Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake (Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra)

*Frank Sinatra - The World We Knew

*Dean Martin - Somewhere There's a Someone

*Sergio Mendes - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

*Dean Martin - The Door is Still Open to My Heart

*Music of the World - Austrian Folk Music vol. II

*Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche '85

And then, a few days later, I found myself unable to resist these:

*Hank Williams Jr. - Eleven Roses

*Romeo & Juliet Soundtrack (Zeferelli dir.)

*Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

*Chris Hillman - Slippin' Away

*War - The Music Band

It looks like a lot. It is a lot. But as the Kinks so astutely put it way back when, the girl can't help it.

No comments: