Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Untitled Interview #45: Starring Patrick Park

I’m gonna go ahead and say that I don’t think I’ve been getting enough troubadourian goodness in my diet these days. Fortunately, there’s always Patrick Park to come to the rescue in just this kind of situation. The good Mister Park follows in the footsteps of many a singer-songwriter before him, and not just when it comes to moving out to LA for inspirational-type purposes. Give the man a guitar and beautiful things just seem to happen.

And give the man some questions, and pretty good answers will be returned. Check out the musings of Mister Park below, and of course, make sure you listen to any and all of his music you can get your little paws on. Oh, and should you even run into him, you might wanna challenge him to a game of chess. Just sayin'.

Les Enfants Terribles: How the hell are you?
Patrick Park: I'm really good. A bit tired, I just got back from tour last night so now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself. It always seems like it takes me a week or so to get back into the swing of being at home again.

LET: What was the last song you listened to?
PP: Uh, well the last song I listened to was “Barracuda”, that's what was on the radio when I went to get coffee.

LET: Playing music is:
PP: Absolutely necessary.

LET: What album most made you realize you wanted to make music?
PP: God there's been a lot, but I guess maybe the two that stand out in my mind are The Zombies' Odyssey And Oracle and Bob Dylan's Time's They Are A Changing.

LET: Beatles or Stones?
PP: Beatles all the way.

LET: Top 5 albums (of now, of this month, or of ever):
PP: Top 5 albums of the moment in no particular order:

John Lee Hooker - Real Folk Blues
Mississippi John Hurt - Live Vol. 1
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

LET: Favorite music-related movie?
PP: Don't Look Back, Gimme Shelter, or The Last Waltz.

LET: Half full or half empty?
PP: Definitely half full.

LET: Which of your peers do you think is making the best music these days?
PP: There's a lot of great music out there right now. Some of the many bands I like are Wolf Parade, Beach House, Warpaint, Sera Cahoone, Seawolf, Gregory Alan Isakov, Animal Collective, and AA Bondy.

LET: Little-known Patrick Park fact?
PP: I'm a fanatical chess dork. I probably play at least 10 games a day, and spend free time on tour working out problems. Sad really.

LET: What's the first thing you think when you wake up in the morning?
PP: Uh…Where am I?

LET: The greatest record store in the world is:
PP: It's a toss up between Amoeba in LA or Twist and Shout in Denver.

LET: Shaken or stirred?
PP: Neat.

LET: You've been in LA for a little while now. Do you ever miss all the snow of Colorado?
PP: I definitely do. I still consider Colorado my home even though I've been living in LA for some time now. I've come to really like a lot of things about LA, but I miss seasons. It can be a little like Groundhog Day here.

LET: If you weren't a musician you'd be:
PP: God, I have no idea honestly. I hope that I never have to figure that one out.

LET: What music most makes you think of Colorado? Of LA?
PP: Of Colorado, pine trees, mountains, indian paint brush, rattle snakes. Of LA, traffic, burritos, sunburns.

LET: If you were so inclined, whom would you form a tribute band in honor of?
PP: Maybe Wire. Those songs are super fun to play.

LET: Best song ever written?
PP: I have no idea. If I had to choose one I would say maybe, “The Times They Are A Changin” by Bob Dylan.

mp3: Blackbird Through the Dark (Patrick Park from Come What Will)

No comments: