Wednesday, June 16, 2010

100 Shows of 2010 - #33: The Brian Jonestown Massacre/The Young Sinclairs @ 9:30 Club, 6/9/10

Now this, this is what I’m talkin’ about right here. Take one of my favorite bands of all-time, in this case The Brian Jonestown Massacre, throw in those darling upstarts/reigning Best Band In The Commonwealth of Virginia, in this case The Young Sinclairs, and have them play together at the best club in, well, anywhere, in this case the 9:30 Club, and amazingness will undoubtedly ensue. And sure enough, ensue it did.

MINI RECAP: The Brian Jonestown Massacre = Too Good! The Young Sinclairs = Too Good! Overall score: A.

By now, I’ve lost count of just how many times I’ve seen The Young Sinclairs (otherwise known as the pride of Roanoke) over the past couple of years. I’m sure I’ve said it before, but this band just gets better and better with each and every live outing. Having seen them handle themselves so well here with such legendary heavyweights, I think it’s safe to say these boys are destined for success. It made me more than a little proud to see them pass their 9:30 Club test with such flying colors. Their psych revivalism is the perfect fit for an opening slot with The BJM, and their pitch-perfect harmonies and overall lush sound filled the club beautifully. They jingled and jangled and popped all over the place, and frankly that Sam has gotten pretty precociously sassy up there in his frontman duties. Cor, blimey! They left it all on the stage, from their idyllic dreamscapes to their more British Invasion tunes. They’re all grown up, and they were sensational. Watch this space, that’s for damn sure.

And then it was time, for the second glorious time in two glorious days, for more of my beloved Brian Jonestown Massacre. Their set was very much like the Philadelphian set of the night before, which surprised me just a little, as I was expecting a whole different set. But I suppose when what you’re doing is so good, well, there’s no reason to change it. It could just be because I love the 9:30 and do not love the TLA, but I got the sense the band was a little more into the show on this night. Anton was just as withdrawn to start, and by the time second song “Vacuum Boots” had finished I’m pretty sure he still had yet to even glance at the crowd. But genius can be peculiar.

During a rather fabulous version of “Wasted” off the fabulous Methodrone record, Joel totally made me love him even more by rocking not two, not even three, but four maracas (two in each hand, of course). “Servo” was amazing, and got the kids shakin’ and shimmyin’ in the audience. “Anemone” was utterly transcendent, giving me chills and goosebumps and a tingly spine all at the same time. That has to be one of the most perfectly seductive songs, musically-speaking, of all-time. “Jennifer” was great once again, Anton still an island over on the left of the stage, but the band totally in top form all around him. “Wisdom” just about brought me to tears with that powerful psychgaze swirl. The Matt Hollywood classic “Not If You Were The Last Dandy On Earth” was perfect as usual, “Who?” was perfect as usual, and “That Girl Suicide”, well, that too was perfect as usual. The band finished strong with “Oh Lord” and “Satellite”, and then they were gone, having so successfully given the people what we so lustily clamored for.

Dear friends, I must say, it was one of my top shows of the year thus far. Seeing this show at this club is a special thing indeed. If you’re not already on The Young Sinclairs’ bandwagon, get right to it, and if you haven’t yet seen the BJM yet (or even if you have), make sure to get out there and experience them for yourselves. These bands are musical salvation. Let the good times roll, indeed.

mp3: Oh Lord (The Brian Jonestown Massacre from Take It From The Man!)

No comments: