Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Untitled Interview #44: Starring Barry Hyde (The Futureheads)

The Futureheads have shown themselves to be amongst the cream of the import bin over the last decade, so says I. Their angular, comical, unquestionably English punk is full of cheeky charm, boatloads of subtle (and, well, obvious) humor, and is technically impressive to boot. Throw in Barry Hyde’s droll yet oft-excitable vocals and you’ve got a sure winner.

Speaking of Barry Hyde, he gamely answered the call of the Untitled Interview challenge. Read on to see just why Hyde doesn’t exactly heart the “Modfather,” what inspired him to become a musician, and just what he’d be if he wasn’t making that seriously fantastic music. Not only does Hyde get serious love from me for that Beatles/Stones answer, his cool points for using the tragically underappreciated “uncouth” are now immeasurable.

The Futureheads also happen to still be in the midst of a tour in the US of A, so get out there and see ‘em if you find yourself in the path of the tour. I promise you, my dears, you’ll be glad you did.


Les Enfants Terribles: How the hell are you?
Barry Hyde: Very well thank you. As fit as a fiddle.

LET: What was the last song you listened to?
BH: “The Batalon” by Max Tundra. It's a winner.

LET: Playing music is: __________
BH: Impossible for us not to do.

LET: What album most made you realize you wanted to make music?
BH: Tough question. “Sunshine of your Love” by Cream made me want to play the guitar. Heard it in an American Diner in Newcastle and thought “if I could play that then I would be 'cool'". Positively ice box baby. Berlin by Lou Reed has to get a mention. I have heard it more than any other album I think. That and the Lost Boys soundtrack. Of course.

LET: Beatles or Stones?
BH: Well, The Beatles appeal to my mind. And The Stones appeal to what's in my boxer shorts! Depends what I fancy.

LET: Top 5 albums (of now, of this month, or of ever):
BH: You are killing me! Impossible to answer that question “correctly.” Berlin for sure. The Well Tempered Clavier by some wig wearing loon called Bach or something?!? Point by Japenese wizard Cornelius. Cut by The Slits. Sexy sexy girls. And the soundtrack to Cabaret. Massive fan of that one. Again it's SO sexy. Especially "Mein Here" if that's how you spell it. The one Liza sings whilst doing her incredible chair straddling. Gosh. Woof woof. Ding dong.

LET: Favorite music-related movie?
BH: Too many but Amadeus is very very very special to me. Simply wonderful. Deserved all the awards for sure.

LET: Half-full or half-empty?
BH: Full for sure. But empty and full are the same thing, just both at different points on the scale of 'being'. I'll shut up with my wisdom loving now! Know thyself.

LET: Which of your peers do you think is making the best music these days?
BH: I like Brighton Pier. We have a nice Pier in Sunderland. The Futureheads are PEERLESS. Alone in the Universe. I love Foals, Maccabees, Dutch Uncle, Crystal Castles, Maximo Park to name but a few bands. Great bands but peers they are NOT!
;-)x-<

LET: Little-known Futureheads fact?
BH: We are aliens from the Ganimede.

LET: What’s the first thing you think when you wake up in the morning?
BH: I kiss my wife then put the Kettle on, that's of I don't feel like wearing the light switch or the toaster. Obviously.

LET: The greatest record store in the world is:
BH: Hot Rats in Sunderland, it's run by a punk rocker who used to be in the Toy Dolls. He lets me go in the secret cupboard, where he keeps all the real goooood shit. Like the illuminous DEVO vinyl I had and lost. Still hurts.

LET: Shaken or stirred?
BH: What time does Sean Connery like to play his favourite sport?..............,,, Tenish! Shaken and stirred pleased. Why not Mish Moneypenny. Kinky shit Bond like.

LET: Why don’t The Futureheads like Paul Weller?
BH: Because he's unfriendly and he walks around like a fucking peacock. Also he is known as the Mod Father, and he's not. The Jam, who KICK ASS, were a Mod Revival band. A fact that to my knowledge he has never admitted. Mods were around in the 60's not the 70's. DUH! Good song writer though. Love his solo on “Champagne Supernova”! Wicked. He's alright really. That guy in DC was very uncouth. Something had to be said to pacify his drunk ass.

LET: If you weren’t in a band you’d be:
BH: A chef/barber/virgin.

LET: I know it’s like making someone choose a favorite child, but which of your records are you most proud of, and why?
BH: Edward. He's an excellent poet you know.

LET: If you were so inclined, whom would you form a tribute band in honor of?
BH: Queen. Done that. Seriously.

LET: Best song ever written?
BH: No such thing I'm afraid. You are asking the wrong humaniod. Ok Ok Ok. “Slave” by Britney Spears. Leave her alone by the way.

mp3:
Meantime (The Futureheads from The Futureheads)

No comments: