Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Untitled Interview #3 - Coachella Edition: Starring Jaren Johnston (American Bang)

To play Coachella is kind of a Big Deal. To be the first band to play and open up the three-day festival of musical mayhem is quite possibly huge. Nashville’s American Bang brought their home-fried raucous, rebellious, southern rock to the middle of the Southern California desert, and having seen them once before I have no doubt they made quite an impression. I would have been there, but I was somewhere in Palm Springs, guzzling gallons of pre-festival bottled water. Naturally, I wanted to know what mouthpiece Jaren Johnston had to say about all things Coachella. In addition to possessing some pretty fierce vocal chords, he’s a man of discerning taste. Included below is American Bang’s feisty cover of T. Rex’s classic “Jeepster.” Enjoy, my lovelies.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to Coachella: plane, train, or automobile?
Jaren Johnston: Well, I think we will be flying in to L.A., mixing the record, then I guess the label will rent us a van or something. Hahaha, I'm usually the last one to know these things.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
JJ: My freakin’ tooth brush! And tooth paste, always!!! I have to use the other guy's paste, and they hate me for it!

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
JJ: Well, we’re friends with the Raconteurs guys, so it will be fun to see them. Also I really wanna see the Verve! Oh yeah, and Jack Johnson, NOT!!!!!! Puke, hahaha.

LET: To camp or not to camp?
JJ: I think Warner is renting a house out there for us and Tegan and Sara to stay at, but i'm not sure! I'm not really into the camping thing if we have to play. Too hard!

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
JJ: I think it was Bonnaroo. We played it last year as well as Lollapalooza and I can't remember which was first!

LET: The California desert in late April: friend or foe?
JJ: I hope friend, I would hate to be attacked by the damn desert, in any month! ; )

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
JJ: All the different food and swag venders, as well as the crazy parties that usually go down! Also we get to see all the hyped bands that everyone is talkin’ ‘bout! Really interested to see this Vampire Weekend band. They got more buzz than a freakin’ neon light! They better be good or else! Haha.

No comments: