Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's Covered: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?


Ed. Note--It's been brought to my attention there's a problem w/ the remix track below, and I'm afraid I don't know how to fix it. Hence, it has been removed, but I'm too lazy to go back and re-write the existing paragraph. Sorry about that.

While there are individual reasons for each "It's Covered" post, the one overarching theme seems to be songs from my early childhood, most notably those found in various cartoons. It is with this in mind that I bring today's offering, "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?" or, as I like to refer to it, "that song from Tom & Jerry."

"Is You Is" probably the first song I ever enjoyed specifically as a cover. When I first heard it outside of the T&J classic, I loved it for being a variation on a theme. Long story short, while I was raised on Joe Cocker and others who made entire careers out of cover songs, this was the first "cover tune" I appreciated for being itself.

Originally released as a B-side to "G.I. Jive" by Louis Jordan in 1944, the song enjoyed its own success before eventually being covered by everyone from B.B. King to Saffire, the Uppity Blues Women.

Today's versions include Louis' original, as well as takes by Bing Crosby & the Andrew Sisters (please pardon the few glitches; it's an OLD track) and Cab Calloway (for the criminally under-educated musically, that old dude in The Blues Brothers). To keep things interesting, we've also got Dinah Washington's original stab, as well as the Rae & Christian Remix of the same piece from the wonderful Verve Remixed series.

And, of course, the version that got this whole ball of wax started in the first place from Solid Serenade.





mp3: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Louis Jordan)

mp3: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Bing Crosby & the Andrew Sisters)

mp3: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Cab Calloway)

mp3: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Dinah Washington)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool tune - FYI< Joe Jackson did a cool cover of this tune, too, on his excellent Jumpin' Jive

Terrible Chris said...

i hadn't come across that one. Thanks for the heads up. It seems like someone always has that one extra version "no one" else has heard. You're today's winner of that prize, Anon.

Dangold said...

The remix you posted is protected.

Terrible Chris said...

Well, Dolomite on a donkey, that ain't cool. Sorry about that.

Regretfully, i have no idea how to fix that.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I found a usable copy of the remix. Download it here: http://www.tinyurl.com/ybxxf4d

Terrible Chris said...

Who says LET readers aren't the best in the world?