Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Untitled Interview #24 - SXSW Edition: Starring Jason Russo (Hopewell)

You should already know by now that I rather enjoy Hopewell. Something about the sonic spacebending and throwback meets nouveau whirling dervish soundscapes concocted by this merry band of New Yorkers has always struck me as more than just a little bit wonderful. They put on a heck of a show, too, so please file them away in your "to go see live" file for when the time comes.

However, if you're going to be in Austin with me, that time is rapidly approaching. If you're a newcomer to Hopewell, my friends, you won't be disappointed. Putting it mildly, this band knows how to put on a show. And they're nice guys, too, so feel free to buy them a beverage and tell 'em how much you enjoyed them.

Taking time out of his preparations for SXSW/global domination with the release of yet another album, friend of Les Enfants Terribles Mr. Jason Russo sat down and said a few words, the text of which you can read below.

Did I mention how good they are? Make hast, friends, and procure some Hopewell. Your life will thank you.

Les Enfants Terribles: How are you getting to SXSW: plane, train, or automobile?
Jason Russo: Me and Lyndon are driving the van down. The rest of the band is flying in. I think. I hope.

LET: Inevitably, you will forget to pack:
JR: My peace of mind? This year we are bringing our neti-pots. Hopefully we will remember to use them.


LET: How many showcases/parties will you be playing?
JR: 5.

LET: Band you're most looking forward to seeing at the festival?
JR: Uh...Jane’s Addiction?

LET: What's the first thing you plan on doing upon arrival in Austin?
JR: Peeing.

LET: What was the first festival you ever attended, either as a musician or member of the general public?
JR: Geeze...ancient history. I guess my first festival was some random Belgium thing in the 90’s? Oh no wait, Lolapalooza when I was a kid! That was a blur.

LET: Favorite thing about festivals?
JR: The sheer amount of people I guess. The feeling of being a worker among workers.

No comments: