Tuesday, March 10, 2009

LP Lust: March Madness Edition

It's that time of year again, sports fans. Not a time of year that particularly does anything for me, of course (being a college football fan), but the season for going stark raving mad for college hoops. Since my local team just won their conference and is now headed to the big dance (go VCU!), I thought I'd go ahead and give this post a basketball theme, an homage, if you will, to bracket busting and being on the bubble. After all, the way some people feel about March, I tend to feel about records. Just on a year-round basis.

This installment of LP Lust covers two shopping trips. The first was visiting the Unique thrift store in Merrifield. It was...unique. That visit yielded but two records:

*The Philadelphia Orchestra - Pictures at an Exhibition/Firebird Suite

*Various Artists (Bobbie Gentry, Nancy Wilson, etc.) - Something Special

My next trip, however, was a little more fruitful. I've decided the key is to let at least a week elapse between visits to Plan 9's den of records, thereby allowing for plenty of new vinyl to arrive. Here's the haul from my most recent trip:

*Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly

*Buck Owens & His Buckaroos - Your Tender Loving Care

*The Golddiggers - The Golddiggers...Today!

*Duran Duran - Duran Duran

*Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell - Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell

*The Guess Who - Shakin' All Over

*Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again

*The Dream Syndicate - Medicine Show

*Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

*Jethro Tull - Stand Up

*The Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup

*Cream - Wheels of Fire

*Paul Butterfield - Put It In Your Ear

Yes, I know I said I was going to reign in my record expenditures, but as you've guessed, I'm not so good at keeping that kinda promise.

No comments: