Thursday, November 6, 2008

Singles Club: Eels

So did you see that BBC special just recently about frontman Mark "E" Oliver Everett and his pops, the quantum physicist Hugh Everett III, the dude that created the parallel worlds theory? PBS ran it on Nova and, of course, I missed it. Not pleased about that one.

Not having anything whatsoever to do with that, Mr. E and his Eels just dropped some free mp3 love in the form of a few live tracks from a gig he did in Manchester back in '05. He did so in anticipation of the release of a deluxe, limited-edition, four vinyl version of Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. If you're quick about it, you can get one of 2,500 signed copies here.

If I'm not mistaken, this was taken during his "Strings" tour, where he played with damn near a full orchestral section. I caught half the show when it hit the 9:30 Club back then. I bounced early due to an unfortunate incident involving an undercooked steak, but, seriously, we don't need to discuss that.

Food poisoning notwithstanding, I have to admit it wasn't my favorite Eels show. E was a bit pissy with the crowd, and my crappy view from the back wall in the upper section did little to improve my opinion. Of course, this isn't that show, the Eels kick ass, and you can decide for yourself with the tracks below.

mp3: Feeling Fresh

mp3: Packing Blankets

mp3: Jeannie's Diary

mp3: Climbing to the Moon

No comments: