Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Gobble Gobble Day!

It’s once again the eve of that gluttonous festivus we Yanks like to call Thanksgiving. While the common (and incorrect) notion is to pay homage to the Pilgrims up north, the first Thanksgiving was technically here in Virginia, not too far from where yours truly rests her head here in Richmond. So in honor of those Virginians who have come before, I’d like to tick off a few things I’m thankful for, musically-related, of course.

I’m thankful for my DVD box set of My So-Called Life. Not only was this show on during the height of my coming of age (as they call it), the music in each episode totally encapsulates the time. Right this minute I’m considering reacquiring a Buffalo Tom CD, simply because of its inclusion in a riveting scene involving Angela (Claire Danes) and Jordan (Jared Leto).

As damning as this might sound, I’m thankful for Myspace. The amount of bands on that revoltingly addictive site increases daily, which means a nearly endless supply of new bands for we bloggers to write about.

And finally, I’m thankful for all the great albums we’ve been lucky enough to hear this year, and all the amazing shows I’ve seen. You’ll hear much, much more about who Chris and I think made the best records of 2008, as well as the bands who put on the most important live performances, but to bands like the Black Angels and Dead Confederate, I’d like to say thanks for making such great albums, and kudos to Brian Wilson and Nine Inch Nails for being so spectacular in the flesh.

We here at Les Enfants Terribles would like to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving, full of turkey (or turducken or vegan turkies), stuffing, cranberry sauce (canned or homemade), and whatever else is gonna be on your plate tomorrow. We’re also taking a few days off, so we’ll see you in December. Gobble gobble!

No comments: