Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Untitled Interview #7: Starring Will Courtney (Brothers and Sisters)

I’ve been enamored with the utterly captivating band Brothers and Sisters since I first stumbled upon their deliriously sun-drenched little ditty “One Night” months and months ago. Their charming boy-girl vocals, unpretentious musicianship with the perfect dashes of twangs and drawls, and effortless charisma caused my senses to fall in deep smit with these Austin-ites, led by the Courtney siblings. In a nutshell, they’re flat-out irresistible.

And so, it seemed only natural to seek out Brother Will Courtney (that's him on the left) for a little brain-picking session. He kindly indulged me, as you can read below. To get you even more excited about going to see the band’s current tour (which hits DC on September 14th at DC9, and where you will most definitely see me), check out some live Brothers and Sisters action below. You’re welcome.

Les Enfants Terribles: How the hell are you?
Will Courtney: Very sleepy, Megan.

LET: What was the last song you listened to?
WC: A 30-second clip on iTunes of Glen Campbell singing "Jesus" by the Velvet Underground.

LET: For your money, who is/was the best Austin band ever?
WC: Brothers and Sisters.

LET: Playing music is ___
WC: The last thing I do before I fall asleep.

LET: What album most made you realize that you wanted to make music?
WC: Rubber Soul (the US Capitol version). Every single song is perfect. Lily and I wore out several copies of that tape as kids.

LET: Beatles or Stones?
WC: Well, I guess you know that answer now, but... I worship the Stones and I think most bands would tell you that Stones are who they'd wanna drink with.

LET: What're your top 5 albums?
WC: Randy Newman - Good Ol Boys
Glen Campbell - Reunion with Jimmy Webb
Beach Boys - tied Friends and Love You
Velvet Underground - Loaded
Neil Young - Time Faded Away

LET: Favorite music-related movie?
WC: I'll break in down into three: Favorite movie with great music, "Harold and Maude". Favorite musical movie is "Annie". Favorite concert movie, "Last Waltz".

LET: What city or venue would you like to play, but haven't yet been to?
WC: I think I'd like to play somewhere in Spain.

LET: Half-full or half-empty?
WC: Cup is half-full, but the water's not clear.

LET: Apart from your band, which of your peers do you think is making the best music these days?
WC: I honestly love so many of my friends' bands better than bands you usually hear about. Right now I'm really into my friend Jack Gibson's group, Tenlons Fort.

LET: What's the first thing you think when you wake up in the morning?
WC: I wonder if my girlfriend has some coffee for me.

LET: The greatest record store in the world is:
WC: Amoeba Hollywood!!!
LET: What's the longest flight you've ever been on, and where were you going?
WC: Long ride to Athens, Greece and a guy died in the middle of the Atlantic. The pilot asked that we just keep watching "Father of the Bride 2" while they do CPR.

LET: Favorite other brother/sister duo, in music:
WC: Carpenters

LET: Shaken or stirred?
WC: Definitely shaken

LET: If you weren't in a band, you'd be:
WC: A solo artist

LET: Which feels better: leaving to go on tour, or coming home from a tour?
WC: Leaving.

LET: Best song ever written?
WC: "God Only Knows"


No comments: