Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Costume Shall a Poor Girl Wear...

Ah, September. Beloved by those who enjoy slightly cooler temperatures than the previous few months, not to mention all those lovely turning leaves. But now there's another reason to consider September your favorite month, at least as far as I'm concerned, because as of today I shall be one of only 3000 or so revelers at All Tomorrow's Parties, NY edition. The festival will be going on from Friday, September 19 through Sunday September 21, in lovely (well, I can't really say it's lovely, as I haven't yet been there, but I'm sure it's peachy) Monticello, New York. You can join me, because tickets in the final block appear to still be available. If you've got a spare $500-ish lying around, and hey, who doesn't these days, you too can attend what promises to be a phenomenal weekend. After all, who doesn't love the idea of a weekend full of music, music, potential debauchery, and perhaps even more music? Not to mention the likely lack of heat and humidity, which always tends to put a damper on even the bestest of the warm weather festivals. I like to think of it as a rock'n'roll resort, because after all, the festival is being held at some sort of country club. And anyone who was anyone used to go get their resort on in New York State in the early part of the last century.

Not yet convinced? One look at the lineup ought to have you headed straight for the old credit card, eagerly parting with some financial solvency. Those darling organizers have unleashed a fierce mix of legends, bona fide established bands, and up-and-comers, and it's looking pretty flawless from top to bottom. Here's what's going on:

Day 1

Thurston Moore
Tortoise
Meat Puppets
Built to Spill
Bardo Pond

Day 2

Fuck Buttons
Low
Growing
Edan
Shellac
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra
The Drones
Polvo
Wooden Shjips
Harmonia
Om
Autolux
Apse
Alexander Tucker
Les Savy Fav

Day 3

My Bloody Valentine
Dinosaur Jr.
Lilys
Yo La Tengo
Mercury Rev
Mogwai
Le Volume Courbe
Bob Mould
Spectrum
Gemma Hayes
The Wounded Knees

And there are still, evidently, lineup announcements to be made. But do you really need to see anything else? I mean, there are two themes to this lineup, as far as I can see. 1) Noise. 2) Awesomeness. And that's pretty much it. I was hooked by My Bloody Valentine, but looking at the rest of the bands scheduled to perform it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that this will, in fact, be amazing. So stay tuned for some special ATP treats, my friends, in the weeks leading up to the festival.


No comments: